Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Although at times it feels like this might turn in to a Jeremy Warmsley blog, we're not completely obsessed. However, its time time to swing back round to the guy, seeing as he's currently recording new material and debuting it on the road with artists such as I'm From Barcelona and Maps. We made it along to one of these shows in Nottingham back in September, thanks a lot to Jeremy for sorting us out on that front, and recorded 3 of the new songs he was debuting. He played an acoustic set, mainly because he wanted to debut new songs on this tour, and not be constrained by only playing songs he'd devised full band parts for. I think at least half of the material in his short 30-minute set was new, sitting really well alongside the acoustic performances of his old material. I'm going to post the three videos, you can find mp3's of the recordings at the bottom of the post, along with a couple of other bonus Jeremy Warmsley tracks. If you like his stuff, make sure you pick up a copy of either his debut album 'Art Of Fiction', or one of his early EP's, all available on Transgressive Records.

Untitled - http://www.youtube.com/?v=35erbdTPmlE
Tip-tapping piano, quite similar to tracks on Art Of Fiction. The piano skips around the melody nicely, playing off each word in the verses before matching back in to time for the chorus. "You saw me dancing with the enemy, dancing with sympathy, some kind of guarantee, I danced with the enemy".


Untitled 2 - http://www.youtube.com/?v=XMTFgHSAZrY
Guitar strumming, stop-start rhythm, very different from anything on Art Of Fiction. "You make me lose my cool, and all the things I thought defined my sense of myself; you make me lose my cool, and you, you come at last, now tell me what to do; my shadow is alive and my composure is gone, I've lost all sense of myself". A chorus delivered with wrenching earnest, soaring painfully as the guitar builds and supports the desperation in the lyrics.


Crane Flies - http://www.youtube.com/?v=NzZ6V1zd5WY
After a gorgeous 3 minute piano led description of crane flies circling over lovers heads as they tell each other their secrets, this erupts into cascading piano keys and sudden bursts of energy and brutality. Absolutely incredible live as it builds up to the soaring crescendo of an end.


[BUY] Buy Jeremy Warmsley's records direct from Transgressive here.
[LIVE MP3] Jeremy Warmsley - Untitled
[LIVE MP3] Jeremy Warmsley - Untitled 2
[LIVE MP3] Jeremy Warmsley - Crane Flies
[BONUS MP3] Jeremy Warmsley - After The Fact
[BONUS MP3] Mystery Jets - On My Feet (Jeremy Warmsley Mendicant Mix)