Friday, August 21, 2009

Like Spinning Discs #1: Liam Haynes

Here's the first in a new weekly feature from Darryl Marsden, showing us which 5 albums musicians treasure and have made them who they are today. The albums may not be classics, they may not even be very good, but they will mean something to the person involved. Everyone has them and it's always a good thing to know what your favourite artists have loved through their life. In keeping with the Radiohead themed title of the blog, we've opted for the cringe/clap worthy Like Spinning Discs as a feature title. To get things rolling our editor Liam Haynes tells us about the 5 albums that have shaped him.


If you could only take 5 LP's or EP's into a nuclear bunker to listen to as we all slowly blow each other up, which would you choose and why?

Bob Dylan - Another Side Of
I stole/acquired this from my Dad when I first got a record player, but we'd always had Bob Dylan stuff floating around the house; lyric books and paintings, that kind of stuff. I believe this is a lot more visceral than his electric material and songs like Motorpsycho Nightmare or My Back Pages are true demonstrations of a man wielding words with devastating abandon.

Radiohead - OK Computer
When I got my first Radiohead album (Kid A) my Mum got it confused with Motorhead, kind of set the scene I guess. This album is an obvious classic but I don't want to shy away from it because it's so popular. It's an album I can come back to time and time again, continuing to find new nuances and moments in it each time I listen. Surely that's what a perfect album should do?

Voxtrot - Raised By Wolves EP
Another classic treasured little EP. Voxtrot were kind of early blog-hype stars, like a lightweight Pains Of Being Pure At Heart with a bit more Belle & Sebastian thrown in for good measure. I've still got three of their band t-shirts at the back of my closet ready to bust out once they're vintage. But seriously, this is another perfectly formed EP, fabulously structured and with one of the best songs ever, Start Of Something mid-way through it's an absolute gem.

Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
This is one of those completely timeless albums, instilled with magic and mystery and lyrical twists and quirks. Out of all B&S's albums, I think this is the one that I consistently go back to. From the storytelling of Judy & The Dream Of Horses to Like Dylan In The Movies, it's a perfect example of why this band have influenced so many who have come since.

Jeremy Warmsley - 5 Interesting Lies EP
I remember the first time I heard a song by this guy on Music For Robots, this old music blog I used to read religiously, and being completely blown away. This is his first EP which I think is a pretty perfect slice of his work; it arrived lovingly hand packaged from those folks at Transgressive Records up my home in some small town in Lincolnshire. I think I had the artwork poster on my door for about 2 years.

[SPOTIFY] Radiohead - OK Computer
[SPOTIFY] Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister (Live @ Barbican)